East Chelmsford (Lowell) in 1825 by Benjamin Mather
Compare this with Ferrar's painting above created just nine years later.
The perspectives are different; however, Saint Anne's is in the middle in both paintings.
According to Wilson Waters, "From left to right the principal buildings are the Machine Shop, the Merrimack Mills, St. Anne's Church, and Kirk Boott's house at the extreme right."
These four buildings are numbered and labeled in the 1834 painting.
The two images above are of Nathan Appleton as portrayed in a painting currently located in the 2nd Floor Hallway of Lowell City Hall and is viewable by the public. The top image above is a black & white copy of the full painting, and the image below that one is a detail from the painting.The height of the work is 95 inches (7' 11") and the width is 59 inches (4' 11"). The artist is George Peter Alexander Healy.
[This painting was designed to be in a much larger space (compare viewing this with the portrait of John A. Lowell in the City Council Chamber on the same floor). Because of the small viewing area and the plate of glass covering the painting, a high-quality color digital photograph is not possible at this time.]