The town of Lowell, as incorporated by an act of the legislature, passed on the first day of March, 1826, contained four square miles, and was formerly the northeastern section of the town of Chelmsford. The legislature, in 1834, annexed Belvidere village, the westerly corner of Tewksbury to Lowell. This annexation extends the territory of Lowell to nearly five square miles. The population of Lowell in 1820 was about 2,000; in 1828, 3,532 ; in 1830, 6,477; in 1832, 10,254; in 1833, 12,363. In 1837, it was 18,010. . . .
Lowell became an incorporated city in February, 1836, by an act of the general court, accepted by a vote of the people April 11.
-from Historical collections relating to the history and antiquities of every town in Massachusetts with geographical descriptions by John Warner Barber, 1848
Owner of original document(s): City of Lowell, Massachusetts
Location of original document(s): Lowell City Hall (Lowell, Massachusetts)
LINKS TO DOCUMENT LISTS
Doc# 1826_01 to 1831_066
Doc# 1833_016 to 1834_077
Doc# 1835_173 to s_1831_133
s-1834_303 to s-1836_486
Doc# 1831_067 to 1833_015
Doc# 1834_078 to 1835_172