Just added -
Female Physicians in Early Lowell / Dr. Rachel Allyn
Lowell had a pioneering role in the acceptance of women into the medical profession. Read about these courageous women and Lowell men who supported medical education for women at its very beginnings.
Also, read excerpts from the diary of one of these pioneers, Dr. Rachel H. Allyn.
Now available as a webpages -
Part 11 of The capital of the poor man - "the necessities of the many"
1890 to 1920 (The Golden Era of Bacteriology and the Progressive Era)
Part 12 of The capital of the poor man - "in the face of probes"
1920 to 1924 (The first years of the Isolation Hospital)
The “Old” Lowell Jail (1838 - 1858)
The venerable Lowell Jail on Thorndike Street was the second Middlesex County jail in the city. The first jail, built on Dutton Street, between Willie and Fletcher Streets, was opened in 1838 and was used for two decades until the new jail opened.
The "Ladies of Lowell" commemorative stone in The Washington Monument
One of the 193 commemorative stone tablets that were set into interior walls of the Washington Monument was designed and donated by “The Ladies of LOWELL, MASS.” in 1851. It was noted at the time that this was the only stone that was contributed by a group of all women. The sculptor/carver was Theodore Warren who had a marble yard on Middlesex Street. Today the stone can be seen at the 250-foot level of the Monument.
“History is a tale . . . not of immutable forces but of human endeavors.”
Walter Isaacson in Benjamin Franklin: An American Life
"Pawtucket Dam, 1833" (Oil painting on canvas)
Brown Digital Repository. Brown University Library
The pages on this site and their contents fall into two major categories:
1.) Digitized documents
2.) Other primary and secondary source materials from a variety of collections including images, maps, and books.
Digitized documents -
For many, but not all, of the collections, there is both a webpage describing and listing the documents and an "Inventory" webpage with information/metadata (e.g., date, title, subject, names) including a link to each document. For these collections, there are links to the digitized documents and the indexes for them on the “Documents Collections List & Links” page of the site. In addition, a downloadable EXCEL spreadsheet file is available for each document collection on that page.
All of the individual collection pages can be accessed by clicking on a blue button on the left under the “Contact us” box.
The originals of these document collections belong to the City of Lowell, the University of Massachusetts Lowell, and the Lowell Historical Society. The originals are located at Lowell City Hall and The Center for Lowell History.
These documents were digitized and are presented in the order that existed at the time of digitization. No effort was made to sort, reorder, or categorize. It is not known whether, or to what degree, any sorting, reordering or categorizing has been done over the previous decades. EXCEL spreadsheets and the Search function within the website give researchers the abilities to perform these functions as needed.
Other primary and secondary source materials –
Pages with other primary and secondary source materials, in addition to many other features can be accessed by clicking on the blue buttons on the left between “Documents Collections List & Links” and “Contact us.”
This site is a work in progress and documents and other resources are added on a regular basis.
Most pages on this site have a Search box.
This Search function searches all of the UMASS Lowell LibGuides for the Search Words entered.
It does not browse the whole web, nor does it only browse this specific LibGuide/site.
The middle box on the page with the results of the search titled “LibGuides” will contain links to the UMASS Lowell LibGuide site (bolded) and the specific page on that site where the search word or words are found.
Clicking on the link will not bring you right to that specific word on the page. Use the Find command (command f on a Mac, or ctrl f on a PC) to locate the word on the page.