Clemente Park was originally the site of a baseball stadium built in 1906 and originally named Washington Park, which officially opened in 1907. Eventually, the baseball team for which is was built left Lowell and the stadium was torn down in 1921 and a park was established by the Lowell Board of Park Commissioners. Its name remained Washington Park until 1973 when the City Council passed a motion, renaming it Roberto Clemente Park, a baseball player who died in a plane crash in 1972. For some members of the community, specifically the Cambodian community, the park may be known as Pailin Park.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell Library makes this material available for private, educational, and research use. While we claim no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of it cite UMass Lowell Libraries as the source location of the digital documents and the Center for Lowell History as the archive where the original documents can be found. While most of the materials made available are public records and free of restrictions under copyright law, it is the responsibility of the user intending any commercial reproduction of material that may be subject to intellectual property restrictions to secure permissions from the appropriate parties.