The Lafayette Club was very popular in the early 20th century. Hundreds of people were trying to become a member of this club in order to use its advantages. Women members of Long Meadow Golf club were organizing street dances. Important people were attending this club and pronouncing their speech. Club members had a chance to meet even with governor on May 17th, 1967.
On December 4, 1913 Lafayette club was incorporated with some officers.There were 97 charter members, men well known in Lowell Lafayette community especially in French o-American centers.The club was first located at 831 Merrimack street and the grand opening was held with a very successful New Yens Party held December 31,1913 at which ladies were admitted.
The club was attuned at this location for 6 years and then removed in 1920 to 59 Wannalancint street .
The club enjoys a very high standing in the Community. Among the members are many who have or have had prominent positions in political, financial, professional and business fields, all of them who played conspicuous part in development of the city of Lowell