Founded in 1913, the Club Lafayette is a private club for business people. Intended by its founders to provide a space for Lowell's Franco-American population, there were ninety-seven charter members. The club was named after the Marquis de Lafayette, a French general who fought alongside the patriots in the American Revolutionary War, and who later settled in the United States. The club moved locations several times before settling in its current location at 465 Fletcher Street in 1939. For most of its existence, the Club Lafayette only admitted men into its ranks, with women only being allowed to attend public and family functions. However today, the Club is open to all US citizens of French descent.