•What is your topic and what did you include/ exclude?
• Why is the topic of importance?
• What work has been done in the field?
• What controversies exist in the field?
• Has recent work called early work in to question?
• What gaps exist in the research in the field?
• Organized by chronology, themes or method
• Consists of headings and sub-headings
• Summarizes the current state of knowledge in the field, including
– definitions of concepts
– methods used to generate data
• Describes major trends
• Show need for your own research
• Summarize the evidence, including major areas of controversy
• Show significance of the evidence
• Emphasize need for your own research
• Justify your method