Plagiarism and academic integrity are taken seriously by this university. You, the student, are responsible for making sure you are honestly completing your work. If you have any questions, please review your class syllabus, speak to your professor, or review the university’s guidelines. The UML Library webpage on Academic Integrity has more information.
Academic misconduct is an act in which a student:
(a) Seeks to claim credit for the work or efforts of another without authorization or citation;
(b) Uses unauthorized materials or fabricated data in any academic exercise;
(c) Forges or falsifies academic documents or records;
(d) Intentionally impedes or damages the academic work of others;
(e) Engages in conduct aimed at making false representation of a student’s academic performance; or
(f) Assists other students in any of these acts.
Examples of academic misconduct include, but are not limited to:
• cheating on an examination
• collaborating with others in work to be presented, contrary to the stated rules of the course
• submitting a paper or assignment as one’s own work when a part or all of the paper or assignment is the work of another
• submitting a paper or assignment that contains ideas or research of others without appropriately identifying the sources of those ideas
• getting unauthorized access to examinations or course materials
• submitting, without the permission of the current instructor, work previously presented in another course
• tampering with the laboratory experiment or computer program of another student
• knowingly and intentionally assisting another student in any of the above, including assistance in an arrangement whereby any work, classroom performance, examination or other activity is submitted or performed by a person other than the student under whose name the work is submitted or performed.
The video at left shows an example of a student checking her paper for plagiarism and adding citations where needed. Parts 1 and 3 of the series linked at left. Click for the info, stay for the comedy.