The UMass Lowell Honors College Symposium is a non-credit, non-graded, optional way for Honors College students to satisfy H4, H5 or H6 honors course requirements. The symposium consists of three units throughout the semester, one per month. Each unit requires approximately 25 hours of engagement. You can start today if you wish. The Honors College Symposium is classified as an Honors Interactive Experience and, as such, includes a reading, writing, and speaking component.
Questions or to sign up contact: Erin_Maitland@uml.edu
Each student must:
(1) Sign up for the Symposium by registering with Erin_Maitland@uml.edu.
(2) Complete and submit the Honors Interactive Experience Application (see Word Doc below). List Erin Maitland as the Mentor.
(3) Complete all speaker assignments. Take notes in your Reading Notebook on the assigned texts, films, and/or listening assignments.
(4) At each speaker session, turn in any assignments and/or a copy of your Reading Notebook. *Please make the Reading Notebook a Word doc and emailed it to Erin_Maitland@uml.edu.
(5) Attend, be on time for, be fully prepared for, and be fully engaged in all three symposium discussion sessions.
(6) Prepare and deliver a 15-minute presentation on some aspect of the Symposium topic. These will be individually scheduled outside of the discussion sessions with Erin Maitland.
(7) No later than two weeks after the last day of finals, the student must submit the Symposium's Reflective Essay (2-3pages).
Note: Failure to fulfill the above requirements in a timely manner will result in the student being dropped from the Symposium and thereby not receiving credit for the H4, H5, or H6 honors requirement.