The UMass Lowell Honors College Symposium is a non-credit, non-graded, optional way for Honors College students to satisfy H4, H5 or H6 honors course requirements. The symposium consists of three units throughout the semester, one per month. Each unit requires approximately 25 hours of engagement. You can start today if you wish. The Honors College Symposium is classified as an Honors Interactive Experience and, as such, includes a reading, writing, and speaking component.
*see below for more details
Questions or to sign up contact: Erin_Maitland@uml.edu
Each student must:
(1) Sign up for the Symposium by registering with Erin_Maitland@uml.edu.
(2) Complete and submit the Honors Interactive Experience Application (see Word Doc below). List Erin Maitland as the Mentor.
(3) Read all speaker assignments. Take notes in your Reading Notebook on the assigned texts. *The Reading Notebook is a Word doc. Please email it to Erin_Maitland@uml.edu before the start of each speaker discussion.
(4) Attend, be on time for, be fully prepared for, and be fully engaged in all three symposium discussion sessions.
(5) Write and record a Radio Commentary (click or view attachment below for more information). This written and recorded radio commentary should be submitted no later than 2 weeks after the last speaker.
*The Reading Notebook is essentially a log of your thoughts. Something that shows what you thought about the readings, what you learned, questions that you might have, etc. We want the speaker sessions to be a discussion, so having this background knowledge will help you be able to participate in the discussion and gain a better understanding of the topic.
Note: Failure to fulfill the above requirements in a timely manner will result in the student being dropped from the Symposium and thereby not receiving credit for the H4, H5, or H6 honors requirement.