What can I post to Facebook?
Like Twitter, you can share a variety of media on Facebook. You can write text, add photos, videos and links. Writing a status update appears on your Timeline and the Newsfeeds of your friends.
How do I post a status update?
You can post a new status from the top of your Timeline or your News Feed. To post a status update:
1. Type your update in the share menu on your Timeline or at the top of News Feed. Pick what type of story you want to share (ex: Status, Photo/Video, Life Event)
2. Type in any details you want to add
3. You can also:
pick a date for the story
add how you're feeling or what you're doing
add a location
add a photo
See Extras below for more details
4. Select an audience for your post
5. Click Post
How do I upload photos?
To add and post photos to Facebook:
1. Click Add Photos/Video at the top of your News Feed.
2. Select an option:
4. Select the photos you want to add to Facebook.
5. You can also:
6. Click Post.
You can also choose who can see your post. Keep in mind that when you tag someone in a photo or post, that photo or post may also be shared with that person and their friends.
How do I edit photos?
Begin by going to your Timeline, and then photos. You can edit both photos and albums.
1. Select the photo to expand it
2. On the right-side you can tag photo, change location or select edit
3. When complete, select Done Editing
How do I tag friends in photos?
1. Click the photo to expand it
2. Hover over the photo and click Tag Photo at the bottom
3. Click the person in the photo and start typing their name
4. Choose the full name of the person you want to tag when it appears
5. Click Done Tagging
If you want to tag friends in multiple photos in an album at once:
1. Go to the album
2. Click Tag at the top right of the page
3. Enter the name of a friend or page to tag
4. Click each photo you want to tag with that name
5. Click Save Tags when you're finished
Keep in mind that when you tag someone in a photo, that person's friends may also see, like or comment on the photo. Also, if you tag a photo that was not uploaded by a friend, the person who uploaded the photo will need to approve the tag.
How do I create a shared album?
1. Go to an album you've created
2. Click Change to Shared Album in the top-left corner
3. Enter the names of contributors you want to add and select an audience
4. Click Save
Contributors will be able to view the full album and add photos and other contributors. The album may also appear on their profiles.
How do I delete a photo?
Keep in mind that once a photo is deleted, you won't be able to get it back. To remove your photo from Facebook:
1. Click the photo to open it
2. Click Options on the menu bar below the photo
3. Select Delete This Photo and click Confirm
Note: You can only delete photos that you've uploaded. If you want someone else's photo removed from Facebook, ask the person who posted it to take it down.
1. Click Share below a post
2. Click Share... in the dropdown menu
3. To select where you want to share, click Share on your own Timeline at the top of the popup menu, and choose one of the following options:
4. If you are sharing on your own Timeline and want to select who can see your post, click and choose one of the audience options
5. Enter an optional message
6. Click Post
Note: You can't share posts to people who weren't part of the original audience (ex: a post shared with “Friends” can’t be shared with “Public”).
Tag Friends: How do I mention people, Pages or groups in a post or comment?
1. Type their name with a capitalized first letter (for a person), or type "@" and then their name (for a person, Page or group)
2. Select their name from the dropdown menu
When you mention a person, Page or group in a post or comment, a link is created. However, the audience for that link depends on the person, Page or group's privacy settings (ex: if a post mentions a secret group, only that group's members can see the link).
Pick a date for the story:
You can change the date of stories on your Timeline, including your life events and any photos and videos you post or are tagged in. This will move the stories to a new spot on your Timeline. To change the date of a story:
1. Hover over the story and click
2. Select Change Date
3. Enter a new date and click Save
Note: If you tag your friends in a photo, post or app activity, they'll also have the option to change the date of this story when they see it on their Timelines. You have the option to change it back.
Add how you're feeling or what you're doing:
1. Click Update Status on your News Feed, Status on your Timeline or Write Post in an event or group.
2. Click the smiley face icon
3. Choose Feeling or select what you're doing (ex: Traveling To) in the dropdown.
4. Choose how you’re feeling or a description of your activity (ex: where you’re traveling to) by clicking one of the suggestions or type a word to find more suggestions. If it isn’t listed, you can type in the whole word and then choose it in the dropdown.
5. To edit how you’re feeling or what you’re doing, click and make your changes or click X to remove it from your update. To change your icon, click it in your status update and choose a new one from the dropdown.
Once you’ve added your feeling or activity, finish filling in your status update and click Post.
6. If you describe activities like watching a TV show or reading a book, the TV show or book will also appear in the related sections on your About page where you list things you care about. If you don’t have this feature on your About page yet, the activities you share now will appear there when the feature is available to you.
1. Begin writing your post
2. Click the pin-point icon
3. Enter your location's name or select a suggested location
You can add a location to an existing post in the same manner