1. Sign up for a Facebook account at www.facebook.com
2. If you see the signup form, fill out your name, email address or phone number, password, birthday and gender. If you don't see the form, click Sign Up, then fill out the form.
3. Once you sign up, you'll need to confirm your email address or phone number. Facebook will send you either an email or a text message to help you confirm your account.
4. Add Friends. Facebook will automatically generate a list of people you may know from you phone number and/or email address. Select "Add Friends" now or click "Next".
5. Find Your Friends. Search for friends through all of your email contacts. Again, you can do this now, or skip this step by simply selecting "Next"
6. Add profile picture. Select "Add Picture" or "Take a Photo". Click next when complete.
If your goal is to represent your business, brand or product on Facebook, create a Page. A Page lets you engage with people on Facebook and offers tools to help you manage and track engagement. For professional use, this may be something to consider.
If your goal is to share updates from your personal Timeline with a broader audience, you can allow people to follow you. When you allow people to follow you, anyone on Facebook can follow you to get your public updates in their News Feed, even if you're not friends on Facebook.
For more information on creating a Page, see here under the Page tab.