- Barndt, D., (2002) Tangled routes. Women, work, and globalization on the tomato trail, Langham, Md: Rowman & Littlefield. Lydon Stacks HD6073.F72M493 2008
- Brandt, D, 2012. Labor Across the Food System.
- Estabrook, B. 2011. Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed our Most Alluring Fruit. Kansas, City: Andres McMeel.
- Estabrook's best books on tomatoes and other areas as a social problelm.
Allen, Stewart. (1999) The Devil's cup. NewYork: New York. LYDON RESERVE
Jaffee, Daniel. (2007) Brrrewing Justice. Berkeley, Ca.: University of California. LYDON RESERVE
Striffler, Steve. 2005. Chicken: The Dangerous Transformation of America's Favorite food. Yale U. P. LYDON RESERVE.
48.330 Fast Food, Hot Planet
This course maps the social and historical dimensions of crisis and inequalities of food production and distribution. In addition to exploring food security's relation to sustainable food production, students will strengthen critical thinking, writing, and library research skills.
factory farming's relation to social problems
- Eric Schlosser. 2012. Fast Food Nation, NY: Houghton Mifflin. Lydon RESERVE
- Raj Patel, 2012, Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food Systems. NY; Melville House. LYDON RESERVE
- Michael Moss. 2013. Salt, Sugar, Fat: How The Food Giants Hooked Us. New York: Random House. LYDON STACKS RA784.M638 2013
- Jonathan Safran Foer. 2009. Eating Animals, NY: Little Brown. LYDON RESERVE
- Also see www.eatinqanimals.com
- Pollan, Michael. 2006. The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals. New York. LYDON RESERVE
- See extensive references at http:www.michaelpollan.com
- Moby and Park. 2010. Gristle: from Factory Farms to Food Safety. NY LYDON STACKSTX371.G75 2010
Factory Farm Policy
Pew Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production. 2009. Putting Meat on the Table: Industrial Farm Animal Production in America
Cassuto, D. The CAFO hothouse: climate change, instustrial agriculture and the law. Animals & Society Institute.
- Kurlansky, Marc. Cod. 1998. New York: Penguin. (History of Pursuit of cod and related decline) LYDON STACKS SH351.C5.K87 1998
- Clover, Charles. 2006. The End of the Line: How Overfishing is Changing the World and What we Eat. LYDON RESERVE
- Greenberg, Paul. 2011. Four Fish. New York: Penguin. LYDON STACKS SH167.S17.G74 2011
- Weber, Michael. 1997 "Farming Salmon"
- Greenberg, Paul. 2013. "A River Runs Through It," (Gulf of Mexico dead zone). 5-23-13
- Wing, Cole, and Grant. 2000. "Environmental Injustice in North Carolina Hog Industry,"
- Pig Business (57 min. film on Smithfield Ham in 15 countries).
Soluri, John. 2005. Banana Culture: Agriculture, comsumption and environmental change in Honduras and the United states. Austin: UT Press. also LYDON RESERVE
- Schlosser, Eric. 1995. "In the strawberry fields." The Atlantic (November )
- Wells, Miriam. 1996. Strawberry fields :politics cass and Work in California Agriculture. Ithica, NY: Cornell University Press. Lydon Stacks HD9259.S83 U648 1996