Chemistry.1230L: Chemistry I Lab - Hartman

Office Hours

Office Hours: Where to Get Help

All teaching assistants involved with the course will be available for consultation and help in the Freshman Chemistry Help Center, Olney 407. A schedule of office hours will be posted on the laboratory doors. You may obtain help from any of the teaching assistants during their scheduled office hours: you are not required to see only your own Instructor. Sometimes, for students having difficulties, it is in fact beneficial to get another Instructor's point-of-view. The Centers for Learning also provide a system of peer tutoring, and schedules for this are posted at Southwick Hall and on various bulletin boards around the University.

On-Line Help is also available from any computer connected to the internet. If you don’t have such a computer at home, computer clusters connected to the internet are located in several places around the campus, including at the Centers for Learning. 

For matters of a more personal nature, such as grading, consult your own instructor. For matters that cannot be handled by your instructor, such as class absences or permission to perform experiments in advance because of a university event, consult the course coordinator, Mr. Hall, Olney 214.


Additional Lab Supplies Required

In addition to purchasing safety goggles (see above), students will need to purchase:

  • paper towels
  • small stick-on labels or tape that can be written on, or a “Sharpie” fine point permanent marker
  • sufficient 1mm ´ 1 mm scale graph paper for the lab reports. No other size grid size is permitted.

Co-requisite Course

Co-Requisite Course ___?

Course ___(Chemistry 1 Laboratory) and Course ___(Chemistry 1 Lecture) are co-requisites to each other, which means they are intended to be taken together during the same semester. SiS is programmed to require you to register for both courses at the same time. SiS is also programmed to drop you from both courses if you decide to drop one of them. It sometimes happens that a student is doing well in the  laboratory course, but is not doing well enough to pass in the  lecture course. If you wish to remain registered for the  laboratory course, but wish to drop the lecture course, you cannot do that yourself on SiS. You will need to fill out an Academic Petition (this can be downloaded from the Registrar’s web site) and have it signed by the Chairman of the Chemistry Department and the Dean of the College of Sciences. You then have to bring the signed form to the Registrar, who is able to over-ride SiS requirements manually.