When you have a personal My EBSCOhost account, you have your own personal area (folder) to collect and store information across sessions. All the items you save to your personal folder remain in your folder until you remove them. Only you can access your My EBSCOhost folder.
1. Search for the information that you want to save in your folder. You can save all types of search results to your folder. (For example, articles, links to searches, images, etc.)
2. Add the items to your folder in any of the following ways:
3. When the article result is added to the folder, the folder icon will change to a folder item icon . Clicking this icon will remove the result from your folder.
4. From the Detailed Record, you can add one item. Click the Add to Folder link at the top of the tools menu. This adds only this single item to your folder.
View the contents of your My EBSCOhost folder. Your folder contains links to your saved items in groups such as Articles, Images, Journal Alerts, Saved Searches, etc.
Click a folder location to see the items in a group.
Click an individual item (for example, a magazine article or an image) to display the full detail for the item.
If you have custom folders created within your My EBSCOhost folder, you can specify which folder you would like your articles saved in, when you click theFolder icon .
The article is added to the folder you specify.
When you click the Folder item icon , the name of the folder which contains the article displays a folder icon.
To move the article to a different folder, click the name of the folder you would like to move the article to.
To remove the article from the folder entirely, click the name of the folder that contains the article.
You can remove all the items displayed in a group (for example, Articles) or remove an individual item.
Display the items that you want to remove from your folder.
Mark the check box for any folder item that you want to remove, and then click the Delete Items button.
The custom folder feature provides the ability to create numerous folders, each on a particular topic, for example, in which various results can be sorted and stored. You can customize the name of each folder and determine which folders nest within other folders, to maximize efficiency when managing saved items.
You can create as many levels of folders and sub-folders as you like. However, only four levels of folders and sub-folders are displayed. Any folders below that will display at level four.
To create a new custom folder:
1. Click the Folder icon. My Folder is displayed.
2. Click the New link to the right of the My Custom link. The Create New Folder Screen displays.
3. In the Folder Name field, enter a name for the folder; up to 40 characters.
4. Move Folder To – You can select a “level” for the folder. (For example, you could create an "Environmental Science Project" folder, and then place a "Going Green" sub-folder within it.)
5. In the Notes field, you can enter information regarding the folder; up to 200 characters.
6. Click Save. You are returned to the Folder area, with your named folder displayed in the left-hand column.
To rename a folder:
1. Click the Folder icon then click on the folder that you want to rename.
2. In the Folder Name field, enter the new name for the folder; up to 40 characters.
3. Click Save. You are returned to the Folder area, with your renamed folder displayed in the left-hand column.
To delete a folder:
Click the Folder icon then click the plus sign next to the folder that you want to delete, Click the Edit link below the folder name, Click the Delete Folder button. Select Yes.
To move a folder and its contents to different folder:
1. From within the Folder, click the Edit link below the folder that you want to move. From the Move Folder to drop-down list, select the folder to which you want to move the items (the “target” folder). Click Save.
To move items to a different folder:
1. From within the Folder, mark the check box to the left of the items that you want to move. (For example, articles, images, videos, etc. To select all, mark the Select All check box to the left of the Delete Items button.)
2. Click the Move To button. Select the folder to which you want to move the items (the “target” folder). The items will be moved to the target folder.
To copy items to a different folder:
1. From within the Folder, mark the check box to the left of the items that you want to copy. (For example, articles, images, videos, etc. To select all, mark the Select All check box to the left of the Delete Items button.)
2. Click the Copy To button. Select the folder to which you want to copy the items (the “target” folder). The items will be copied to the target folder.
To delete items from a folder:
From within any folder, mark the check box to the left of the items that you want to delete. (For example, articles, images, videos, etc. To select all, mark the Select All check box to the left of the Delete Items button.) Click "Delete Items".
EBSCO’s Shared Folder feature lets you add articles to your custom folders and share them with other EBSCO users such as fellow students, professional colleagues, or anyone interested in a specific topic.
There are three folder areas for use:
My Folder – this area holds the items that you have collected during your current session. This folder cannot be shared.
My Custom – custom folders you create, and then move result items into. You can share custom folders with other EBSCO users, if desired.
Shared by – custom folders that another user creates and then shares with you.
You must be signed into My EBSCOhost to access custom or shared folders. In order to share a folder, it must be at the “top level” of the folders. If you have multiple levels of folders, the sub-folders cannot be shared.
To share a custom folder:
Run a search and save one or more articles or Persistent Links to Searches to a custom folder that you previously created. (For example, you created an Environmental Science Project folder and added two articles to it.)
From the Folder Screen, click the Share link below the folder name. The Sharing Options Screen displays.
E-mail To – enter the e-mail addresses of the people that you want to share the folder with. (Recipients must have EBSCO access to share the folder.)
Subject – you can accept the default message or enter a new one.
Message – you can enter a personal message or leave this field blank.
E-mail Format – you can send your e-mail message in either plain text or HTML format.
Restrict Passcode to Single Use – included in the e-mail sent to the people you are sharing the folder with, will be a “passcode” that lets the recipient access your folder. By marking the “Restrict Passcode to Single Use” check box, each user will be sent a different passcode that can only be used once. For security reasons, it is a good idea to send each user a different passcode. (The alternative is that all users are sent the same passcode, which might be sent to users you may not want to share with, or who may not have access to EBSCO interfaces.)
Click Invite. An e-mail message is sent to each recipient that a shared folder is available.
Once those you have invited to share a custom folder accept your invitation, they are listed in the Accepted area of the Sharing Options Screen. You may decide that you no longer want to share a folder with one or more users you previously invited to share.
To “unshare” a personal folder:
Open the custom folder that you shared.
Mark the check boxes to the left of each user that should no longer have access to the folder.
Click the Delete button. The list of users you share with will be updated, and those users will no longer appear.
Note: Another way to “unshare” a folder you are created is simply to delete the folder. It will automatically be removed from the Subscription area of users you share it with.